Saturday, October 20, 2007

Husker football (is there anything else in Nebraska right now?!) and Children's activity book recommendations

Ahhh...fall has arrived and football is half-way into the season. If you are unfamiliar with Nebraska, there is Husker football season and spring practice(aka the Red White game where the Huskers split into two teams and play each other). These are the two seasons (with some baseball and basketball in the spring, but not to be confused with FOOTBALL).
Other than the huge distraction this week of the firing of our controversial Athletic Director and hiring of Tom Osborne as interim director, life for the ordinary Nebraskans, like us, has been rather calm. Calm is good.

The Lord continues to bless us beyond our prayers. Dad had surgery on a lump on his back this past week. The doctors are almost certain it is not cancer, but this brings back so many memories from years ago with mom. We will know on Tuesday when the pathology report comes back, but whatever happens, we know God is in control, always will be, and always has been.

Martin got a 'new' vehicle this week! It's actually our 'new' used 1999 Suburban (only 104,000 miles!), but it is his new manly vehicle (except when I need to go grocery shopping or I send him grocery shopping). The Eclipse has to be sold...I have a 3 car limit, and we have 4 cars sitting in our driveway now...all work right now!! The windows work again on my Saturn, but the windows still don't work on the van, but the compressor is in and the van runs, and someday the ac will work again...it is the little things in life to which I look forward :-)

We had a wonderful Vahle family reunion in September. Went to the Omaha Henry Doorly Zoo (a must if you are in this area), ate Valentino's pizza (another must if you want traditional Lincoln food), watched Huskers on t.v. and played outside, and had a generally fabulous weekend. I love to plan events, so our plan is to continue this tradition of seeing family once a year!

We went to a pumpkin patch last weekend and Lillie picked her own apple gourd (seriously, it is a green gourd that looks like a huge apple). She's carries it around the house saying "apple apple". I suppose we could teach her "gourd", but I like hearing "apple"!

Here are a few of my new favorite children's activities books (I use these when I care for my nephews and for activity time with Lillie...we all bake together one day a week and try to do a science experiment weekly, plus as much outdoor play as the weather permits). I waffle with the idea of starting my own preschool...I've had a handful of people encourage me to do such a thing...so we'll see!

* 730 Easy Science Experiments (there are experiments in here for ages preschool-high school...our favorite is water and oil in a sealed, cleaned peanut butter jar...sometimes we add food coloring if we want to go all out-Lillie loves to 'shake shake shake' the jar and watch the oil and water separate...a 3 year old can understand that oil weighs less/is less dense than water, hence the reason it floats on the water) Thanks to my dad, the BEST dad and grandpa ever!! Lillie loves this book (well, she loves the activities...she'll love it more when she can read it herself!)
* For Instruction in Righteousness by Pam Forster (this is for the parents...book is organized by topics like greed, vanity, lying etc. I find it helps me to memorize the verses and then work with the child on whatever behavior needs correcting or rewarding...for example, if my child is disobeying me, I remind her to listen with her ears because that helps 'honor mommy and daddy' like the Commandment tells us to do, and then we praiser her when she listens the first time we ask etc)
* Creative Family Times by Hadidian and Wilson (we love the template in the book for making a tape/cd for your child...wonderful way to incorporate songs and alphabet and Bible verses in a cd using parents voices...Lillie loves to hear her name and hear our voices)
* Hands-On Character Building by Boyer (we love the Head to Foot Bible Verse Board...trace child on a poster board or enlarge photo of child and include verses around body like: Romans 12:1, Proverbs 3:3, Proverbs 4:27, 1 Peter 5:5, James 1: 23-24 etc...the book lists many more verses).
* How to Have Kids with Character by Nadine Brown (good stewardship/money management skills for young kids)
* Preschooler's Busy Book, Wiggle and Giggle Busy Book, & Toddler's Busy Book by Trish Kuffner (I use a lot of the physical activity ideas from these books in my YMCA Jumpin' Jr. class for 3-5 year olds).
* Sing! Play! Create by Lisa Boston (this is an awesome book for making almost any kind of animal...I had no idea a paper plate could become so many animals. Also includes songs and suggested books to read for each animal made). Huge thanks for my mother-in-law for this book and the following three books.
* Little Hands Create by Mary Doerfler Dall (more great simple craft ideas like making a reindeer from a pinecone and egg carton boats and a town made from corks etc)
* Art Across the Alphabet by Kelly Justus Campbell (Great ideas for teaching individual letters of the alphabet using simple art projects...PLUS includes a template letter to parents in case you are using this book in a daycare/preschool setting and want to let parents know what their child is learning)
* The Complete Book of Rhymes, Songs, Poems, Fingerplays, and Chants by Silberg and Schiller (over 700 selections...wonderful resource...I just wish it included the music so I would know the rhythm or notes...but I'm sure one could find this on the internet or from a bookstore or musician...or a teacher!!)

Hoping to post some photos soon...

No comments: