We asked Lillie, 19 months old, on Saturday "Do you want a new baby?"
Lillie says, without pausing, "NO, I want cake" (summer will be interesting!)
Thanksgiving was wonderful and full of a special surprise when we found out about our new little bundle of joy due to arrive on August 4, 2008. If baby arrives on this date, it will be the anniversary of the day Martin and I met in 2000 (that really sounds like a long time ago).
Since the nausea is not in full swing yet (I'm on my knees in prayer that I do not have 9 months of vomiting and an emergency room visit for an IV like I did with Lillie), I felt like making a turkey breast this year (very tender), stuffing with sauteed mushrooms and onions, cranberries, green bean casserole (not usually a favorite of mine, but we found a new recipe and it has potential for being a repeat dish), and our new favorite (2nd year repeat) pumpkin pie cheesecake with sour cream topping. YUMMY. Since this blog is sort of a journal and recipe book for me, here's the recipe for the
Pumpkin Cheesecake:
Graham cracker crust (This recipe will use two 8" crusts or one 9" springform pan)
Filling:
3 packages (8 oz each) cream cheese, softened (needs to be full fat cream cheese)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 can (15 oz) solid-pack pumpkin (we often use our own fresh cooked pumpkin)
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg (I substituted pumpkin pie seasoning for the cinnamon and nutmeg)
1 can (5 oz) evaporated milk
2 eggs
Topping:
2 cups (16 oz) sour cream
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla (I probably used 2 tsp.)
Preheat oven to 350.
Mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and brown sugar until smooth. Add pumpkin, cornstarch, spices and mix well. Gradually beat in milk and eggs just until blended. Pour into crust(s).
Place pan(s) on baking sheet. Bake 55-60 minutes or until center is almost set. Prepare topping and spread over baked filling. Bake 5 minutes longer.
Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes. Cool 1 hour longer. Chill overnight (refrigerate). Let stand 30 minutes at room temperature before slicing.
Before serving, sprinkle with cinnamon, if desired.
3 comments:
Congratulations on the new baby coming! Carol told me last night when we spoke briefly. What great news. I haven't checked in on your blog in a while, but I sure enjoyed going back just now and reading all those I've missed lately. The quotes of Lillie and your nephew cracked me up. I hope all is well with you and the family and that you stay vomit-free.... :)
Congratulations!!!
Congratulations on the baby! It must be so exciting for the three of you! It was so great seeing you when when we were up in NE. I will let you know the next time we are in town.
Post a Comment