Thursday, April 19, 2007

My New Cookbook!

It has arrived! My new cookbook: Apple Pie Perfect by Ken Haedrich. I'm still reading the pastry section, but I intend on reading the entire book tonight. :-) I'll be tired tomorrow (maybe I'll finish reading it this weekend...I have to babysit an 8 week-old and 3 year old, plus my own 1 year old tomorrow, and they demand lots of energy of me).
I'm the kind of person who reads introductions and dedications to books, and I loved his intro and thanks to his parents! My parents used to make homemade pumpkin pie every Thanksgiving (recipe included in previous blog). They actually cooked the pumpkin (in fact, I didn't know one could buy canned pumpkin until I was a teenager!). This was the only time of year we could use the heavy whipping cream to flavor our cereal. Which reminds me of the time in the not-so-distant past when Martin decided to use heavy whipping cream on his cereal because we ran out of milk. Let me just say that this does painful things to one's lower gastrointestinal area, or so I heard :-) He recovered later that morning and he has since followed my suggestion to use cream only as a flavoring.

3 comments:

DeniseMarie said...

I had to laugh about Martin's painful consequences to drinking the heavy cream, as it sounds like something Matt would do! I'm so glad you're excited about your cookbook. I, too, always read introductions and dedications, and I recall also really liking what he had to say about his parents. If you're interested, our favorite so far from this book is on page 104--Bev's Apple Crumb Birthday Pie. I made it with Fuji, Braeburn and Granny Smiths and it was fantastic. Probably the best apple pie I've had, ever. Also, something fun I started doing when I first got this book is that whenever I make a recipe, I write the date on that page of the cookbook, the combo of apples I used, and then once we've sampled the finished product we rate it on a 5-star scale. It's kind of anal and silly, I know, but we have fun with it.

Becky said...

Great minds must think alike! I started 'dating' my recipes a couple years ago and I write our opinions, well, I write my opinion (but I like your idea about using a 5 star scale). I also started including a note by the recipe if it was for a special occasion...I found a note by an orange cranberry bread we made at Christmas one year, and it was the last Christmas before my mom died, so I'm so glad I made a note by that one!
I will definitely try the apple recipe on pg 104...I am so excited to use the cookbook! please keep me updated on the other apple recipes you bake!!

DeniseMarie said...

How special is that?? I think I'll start writing down dates on all my recipes, too, although it's obvious from your extensive list of yummy recipes that you cook waaaay more than I do, so my notes will be fewer and farther between. But still, it's a good idea and I'd like to try and start doing it.