I've been tinkering with strawberry rhubarb pie recipes, and this is my favorite so far :-) I made this pie today using rhubarb from our garden! Our strawberries are not ready for picking yet, so we used store-bought berries.
Mix together in a bowl:
2 1/2 cups rhubarb, cut into bite size pieces (peel rhubarb first and you won't get that yucky 'stringy' taste that is associated w/ rhubarb)
2 1/2 cups strawberries, halved and quartered
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/4 cup quick cook tapioca
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
Let sit in bowl for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Preheat oven to 425. Pour fruit mixture into unbaked 9" pie crust. Dot pie with 2 Tbsp. butter (cut into little pieces). I used about 3 Tbsp. butter! Cover with another 9" pie crust (either lattice top or poke holes in solid crust). Brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar (I sprinkled with cinnamon sugar).
Bake 30 minutes at 425, then reduce heat to 350, place a baking sheet under pie, and bake another 25-35 minutes. Pie is done when bubbly and top is nicely browned (and fruit should be tender).
Pie should be eaten within 1-2 days for best flavor. Keeps at room temperature one day, refrigerate leftovers.
Happy pie eating!
Sunday, May 13, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment