This has been quite a winter. Lillie had her first emergency room visit Friday (I hope her only er visit!). Her temperature spiked to 103 Thursday night and then to 104 Friday and Tylenol wasn't bringing it down. She was very lethargic. Late Friday afternoon she had a febrile seizure in my arms. It was the worst experience...she was unresponsive. I knew it was a febrile seizure based on previous readings and that this can be common in children when fevers spike, but nothing prepares one for this experience. I immediately called 911 and the operator and paramedics were fabulous. I think the paramedics were at our home in less than one minute. She was responsive by the time the paramedics arrived at our home. I was able to ride with them. They were so good to Lillie and gave her an Easter bunny to comfort her while they did tests. (There was one light moment to all this...when one of the fireman brought Beretta to my door as I was leaving...she wanted to play frisbee with the firemen!)
Long story short, we received excellent medical care at the hospital. Martin drove back from Omaha and my Dad met me there. One of our dear neighbors met me there, too, so I would not be alone. The doctor immediately ran a couple tests and he was right...Lillie tested positive for Influenza A and strep throat. Her fever was still 104, but dropped to 99 by the time we left the hospital. We can treat the strep; cannot treat the influenza other than over-the-counter medicine (ibuprofen) to reduce fever. She is now at a higher risk for another febrile seizure when/if her fever spikes again. Fortunately, most children outgrow this by age 5, but I will never get used to seeing my baby have a seizure.
She had a follow-up appointment today and she somehow developed an ear infection this weekend, so we are taking care of that!
When we prayed tonight, we thanked the Lord for medicine, and Lillie reminded me that 'medicine NOT CANDY'. We've been working with her to differentiate that medicine must be taken per instructions and it is not candy, so apparently she is picking up on something we are saying!
She is feeling much better and has her energy back (thankfully, she has given up on trying to put a diaper on Beretta). But the influenza is contagious until her fever is gone for 24 hours, so are definitely doing home entertainment for the rest of this week.
We did indoor chalk drawings yesterday (well, I did most of them!), and we tried an idea I read in a book...we soaked the chalk for a few seconds in sugar water and it make the chalk almost like markers. It was really neat. (The directions said 1 cup water with 1/3 cup sugar and to soak chalk for 5-10 minutes...I did not measure nor time, and it worked fine).
If I can find our digital camera, I'll take some photos of our exciting art work and post them this week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I'm so glad that Lillie feeling better.Poor baby! And poor you - dealing with that, your own sickness and pregnancy too! Wish I lived closer so I could help. Remember, we might not let you leave Denver next month!!
And on a lighter note, I'm very pleased to see two updates on your blog!! We definitely need pictures!
oh how scary! My nephew has had seizures but not the febrile kind, he actually has to be on seizure medicine and 6 mo. checkups with the neurologist. Very scary. I hope Lillie gets to feeling better soon. ER visits are no fun.
Post a Comment